Posted by Unknown |

I had my last photography class tonight. It's nice to be finished.

Jo and I talked about it and decided that the best thing about the course was getting to see each other once a week. She's a good person my sister.

I didn't do huge amounts today. I mainly worked on my sermon. And went to the food court. Pretty quiet really.

I would like to blog about something theological. But there's nothing there. I think not going to college much this term has sent my brain to mush. I'm looking forward to being there once a week next semester. We're doing Daniel and Psalms. That'll be fun. I like Daniel. Crazy book that. And I might actually get a bit of a grasp on the exile. I always get confused between the Asyrians and the Babylonians and who did what to whom.

I finished the preaching book today. Shame really. I really enjoyed that. But at least I can get back to Narnia.

I have been thinking and saying "Just" in prayer does seem to minimalise our requests. Although it depends on why someone is saying "just". Is it a "just" because you don't want to waste God's time? Or is it a "just" because you only want something small? Either way it's not the end of the world. It seems to come from a misplaced reverence of God. "I'm just a small human and you're a big God, I don't know why you'd want to be bothered with me?"

But since we have Jesus we need no "just"s, at least we need no minimalisation of prayer. We can come to God with the most outrageous of requests and be allowed because of what Jesus done. But still a reverence of God is good, and beautifying of prayer for God is probably good. If it is for God. I want to pray beautifully for God sometimes, because He deserves the most beautiful prayers I can craft.

Sometimes "just" can be taken as an only. "I just want to praise you God" which means "I only want to praise you God" and then "just" is totally justified in its usage. The minimalisation is in our actions and our desires, not in our view of God and his works.

And chances are when people say "just" they don't think of any this. Here is a lovely example of where theology and practice don't match up. And the question comes, is our true theology defined in our intellectual beliefs or in our actions? Or at what point does our action define our theology rather than our thoughts?

I'm wondering if theology is the right word to use there. Perhaps theology and beliefs should be swapped around. But I know what I mean so that's ok.

Subscribe