Posted by Unknown |

(Dudley counting his birthday presents)
Dudley Dursley: How many are they?
Uncle Vernon: 36, counted them myself.
Dudley Dursley: 36! But last year-Last year I had 37!
Uncle Vernon: Yes,Yes, but some of them are quite bigger than lasts years.
Dudley Dursley: I don't care how big they are!
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Today I got lots of presents. Good ones too. I got a cheque for $8,113. That never disappoints a man. I got Coke too, Tim Tams and a bag. And some cards. Very nice.

Mum and Dad gave me a red, foam, surfboard. I wasn't quite sure how to react. They bought it in consultation with Ryan, to whom I had confessed a fleeting desire to learn to surf while up in Coolangatta. I didn't really hold that thought for much longer than about 30 minutes, and it was in that 30 minutes that I think I must have told it to Ryan. So there I was holding my surfboard, trying to decide whether to be polite and pretend to like it, or be honest, and tell them that it wasn't really what I wanted. I mean it's not a big deal not getting what you want. I could have got nothing and I wouldn't have cared. So getting something you don't want shouldn't be a problem. Except that it felt a bit rude to say "Thanks" smile and then put it away in my room and try and avoid all Ryan's questions about when we will learn to surf until one day I confess that I don't really want to. I thought it would be better to own up then and there.

So I did that, rude and selfish little boy that I am. And we all had a good laugh. I still felt a bit guilty for not liking it, but I guess that's better than being a liar. I do like that they put effort in to thinking of things for me. And innovative presents are always good. And that's what my present was. When they say it's the thought that counts, I think that can be true here. Truly, no shmultz intended.

Subscribe