3/20/2003 10:52:00 pm

Hey Ho, Let's Go

Posted by Unknown |

I went to the Peace march in the city today at 5pm. It was cool. There were between 15,000 and 20,000 people there. And they had all turned up because they war had started 3 hours earlier. It was an emergency rally. Getting 15,000 people on three hours notice is pretty damn good if you ask me.

There were lots of speeches which I wasn't all that impressed with. Mainly because they were mostly politicians and they were all trying to win my vote as well as denounce the war. Simon Crean did that on Tuesday in Parliament too. I find it a little annoying really. Here we are protesting about a war and they are thinking of their political careers.

So that made the speeches a little annoying. But we marched down to Circular Quay and that was cool. We marched past the US consulate and John Howard’s office. There were masses of Police there. Everyone booed and swore but no one got violent. Apart from the fact that being rude to George and John makes me un-comfortable, it was kinda fun. I liked the Police. And all the angry people. It was a very interesting atmosphere. Someone had thrown red paint at John Howard’s offices. That was as violent as it got though.

Anyway, I marched again. It may be “pissing into the wind” as I heard it described. But really pissing into the wind doesn’t make you feel as good, and it doesn’t have the potential to achieve as much.

Subscribe