6/25/2011 01:11:00 am

Somalian Pilots

Posted by Unknown |

I was doing a talk at youth group tonight and I said something about Somalian pirates. Although I got my words wrong and said "Somalian pilots". Which made me say something like "No, pirates. They're very good at being pirates. No so good at being pilots." To which there was a lot of calls from the audience that I was a racist. Which was probably correct.

I said it because I had images in my head of crashed African airplanes. But I don't know where they came from, probably that Ethiopian Airlines crash a few years ago. But Ethiopians are not Somalians. And one Ethiopian pilot crashing is not the same as all Ethiopians or Somalians being bad pilots. In fact, I think the Ethiopian crash was hijacked so you probably can't blame the pilots at all. Perhaps it was the Somalian hijackers.

Anyway I tried to dig out of my blatantly racist flippant comment by saying "I'm not racist. Some of my best friends are Somalian." Which was a joke. But I knew a few people wouldn't get it. So I said "That's not true. I don't know any Somalians." Which just made me sound like even more of a racist.

So for the record, I have no idea how good or bad Somalians are at flying planes. They could be exceptional, probably are. I do however know that they seem to be quite proficient at pirating, which is considered to be quite an asset in some cultures (pirate culture being the most notable).

On another note for tonight's talk I amended the Bible a little. I think perhaps they should consider using it in the next edition of The Message:

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter heaven with an eye patch and hook like a pirate than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Matthew 5:29-30(ish)

And on one last note, I'm blogging on my new MacBook Pro. It's shiny and nice. Thank you Jesus.

Subscribe