6/30/2010 10:02:00 pm

Self-Control

Posted by Unknown |

Twice at Bible Study over the last three weeks we've been asked to write down the answer to a question about the Holy Spirit and what we'd like him to do in us. Both weeks I've written down self-control. I wish self-discipline was part of the fruit of the spirit because I'd write that down for sure. And invisibility. "For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, invisibility, magical wizardry and self-control."

I've been feeling un-self-controlled lately. Doing the whole full time work, 8:30am-5pm thing has thrown off my whole "I'm a youth minister/unemployed person and I'll get up whenever I want and laze my way to midday" routine. Which has meant this year I've really been struggling to read my Bible and pray every day. So I want self-control, which is probably self-discipline, to actually get up and do my quiet times and not sleep as long as possible before I start turning up to work unreasonably late.

I've also been feeling un-self-controlled, because every fortnight, without fail, I run out of money. I'm on a full-time wage. Albeit a full-time Christian wage, but a full-time wage none the less. Last year, I was living off unemployment benefits, this year I'm living off a descent salary, with tax-benefits, and I still run out of money. You'd think I'd have learnt to save money last year. It's like I have a gambling problem. So I want self-control. I'm not sure spending all my money in the first few days of getting it is honouring God with my money. But it is honouring the that place that sells take-away potatoes. Oh yeah.

Anyway, all this to say, after Bible Study on Monday and praying for self-control, I got up at 6:30am on Tuesday morning, had my shower, had my church planting prayer meeting, and arrived at work half an hour early. This morning, I got up at 6:40am, had a shower and a shave, had my quiet time and arrived at work 5 minutes early. It could be a miracle.

Of course, I know getting up at twenty-to-seven isn't a miracle in most people's books, but I'm willing to believe, if only for the last two days, the Holy Spirit has done a tiny little bit of sanctifying of my relationship with the snooze button. Now I'm hoping he's sanctified my wallet too.

Although I really want to get Friday Night Lights: Season 2 on DVD.

Subscribe