Posted by Unknown |

So I'm sitting here in the YHA blogging from David's laptop. I thought I'd take he opportunity now that he's arrived, plus I like the novelties that a laptop presents for the backwards technophobe that I am.

After leaving Mildura we drove and drove. It was quite a distance from Mildura to Adelaide. Some where just before the South Australian border we ran into a dust storm. It was completely tops. I've never seen one before. There was red dust flying around and visibility was down to about 10 metres in some places. I felt like were really in the Outback then, enveloped by the red devil.

The storm evolved into a normal rain one as we kept driving. It pelted down. One of those rainy times when you can't see a thing. I was driving that bit and it was most fun. I love driving in the rain.

In Mildura the man sitting next to me in the Internet cafe complimented me on my typing ability. He turned to me and said "I wish I could type like that."

Just before arriving in Adelaide Liz and Lesley discovered that contrary to popular opinion Mylor, where we are staying, is not North East of Adelaide it's South East. This meant that it wouldn't just be on the way. We would have to go through the city to get there. Or we could go round the the outside. We decided to circumnavigate the city which in retrospect probably added about 2 hours to the trip. We were all getting tired and tempers almost flared, my car spent the whole time telling ourselves that we were relaxed which I guess was like when cancer patients tell themselves they're fine and hope to go into remission as a result. It's the power of hope. By the time we reached Mylor we we all at peace. Probably because some of us has passed out from a lack of food and the tiring ordeal of being stuck in the car for four hours straight.

After picking up the key to our house we headed straight for a restaurant in a small town just down the road. We ate gourmet pizza at a place that seemed to have been conjured up out of the wilderness of public holiday small town nothingness just for us.

Once our bellies were full and our conversations getting exhausted we headed for our temporary residence. We drove down dirt roads through the dark till we stumbled upon an orange-security- light-lit wooden building in the middle of the bush. We pulled up and ran excitedly in. It was like the first night of camp.

The building has six rooms and a corridor. First there's a big living, eating cooking area. The kitchen is nicely adorned with lime green bench tops, two stoves and and tiny fridge that hasn't learnt the definition of cold yet. There are also tables and benches which look Christian camp to a tee and a living room which is under-populated by couches but has one (which is one too many) big ugly vomit coloured rug.

The bedrooms have 4 bunks and look like an army barracks. I could imagine a Sergeant walking in in the morning and shouting at us.

It really has the atmosphere of a church camp. I feel like I should be up at 7am having compulsory devotions. I feel there should be heaps of rules about bed times, who's allowed in what room and when we need to be where. But there are no rules. We get up when we want to, eat when we're ready, we have no schedules. It's great.

The boys room is well on the way to smelling like a boys room.

Today we woke up around 10am-ish. We ended up eating breakfast at 12pm.

Breakfast was a little late because Liz and Ryan took Jo's car down to the local Bi-Lo and it died. It wasn't in the mood to start. I got an emergency call out. I think it'd be fun to work for the NRMA. I got to jump-start the car. I felt very manly. I love jump-starting.

Following breakfast we headed into the city for a perusal of the the local architecture and culture. Unfortunately Jo's car managed to die at some traffic lights in the middle of the city and the next hour or so was consumed by trying to get the car seen to. But this death of a car did lead to what I feel was the most fortuitous discovery of the day. Ryan and I after parking the van were walking back to the incapacitated little blue hatch back when we found a bright yellow building advertising itself as an indoor pistol range. We popped into see what it was all about and discovered that we didn't need anything special to go shooting, just money. Anyone could shoot, even blind people!

Ryan and I booked ourselves a few lanes and organised to pick Howie up from the Auto Electrician's in Bel Air so he could join the fun. We arrived back at the shop with our money and blind person and were shown how to safely use a hand gun by a boring dvd with crappy royalty-free music. We were then taken to the pistol range, given safety glasses, ear coverings and given another demonstration on how to use a pistol. This was more exciting because it was the first time we got to see our guns. I was geeking out. I love guns.

We were given 50 rounds on a Glock 9mm Semi-Automatic pistol (I've had fun saying that all day). As soon as I picked up my gun I got nervous. It was heavy, metal, black and designed to kill people. All my fantasizing about guns as a young man were finally coming to reality. I loaded the clip and flicked the slide release. I lined up my sights on the target, squeezed the trigger and suddenly there was a very noisy explosion, and the gun leapt powerfully in my hand. Wow. The gun had my respect.

It really was lots of fun. My target wasn't all that impressive. In 50 shots I only hit the bullseye once. I don't think I'll make a very good marksman. But it was good. The noise, the power, the destructiveness. It appealed the everything male in me. It was the same excitement that is suspect you get from driving a V8 really fast.

As well as having a wonderful time it made me understand how horrible guns are. It's really a disgusting thought shooting someone with a gun, anyone. I have experienced and I hate what guns are designed for. As much fun as they are to shoot at paper and cardboard, they scared me, and if they had never been invented I'd wouldn't be upset. I could always drive a V8.

Following our manhood affirming experience we met up with the girls, ate some lunch then went to pick up David from the airport. The road trip crew is now complete.

Ryan and Howie dropped David and I back home going back to the city to get the girls. Since then I've just mooched around, read, had a nap, and eaten dinner once everyone had returned to the roost. Slowly everyone has disappeared off to bed. I'm to only one still up. I'm committed to blogging I guess. Plus I know I can sleep in. But now that I've run out of mundane holiday memories to record for the the worldwide audience of 15, I too might head to bed. Chances are Ryan is still talking on the phone to his girlfriend so I probably won't need to creep in.

Shoom Shoom.